11.29.2011

Week 64: 1977 Dodge Van


This week's tiny car pays homage to 1977, a time when the word "van" did not simply invoke images of a delivery vehicle or kid carrier. In 1977 "van" was loaded with swanky, sexy, and a bit of smarmy. Okay, a lot of smarmy.

Mushroom windows, airbrushed vixens, waterbeds, the latest in eight-track tape technology, vans weren't all about practicality, and you could argue they weren't about style, either, but they were about statement, crazy, impractical statement...which brings me to this week's tiny car.

I almost was unable to purchase this little die cast because as I held it in the store, one thought kept running through my mind: that much glass would heat that sucker up like a greenhouse in summer, and there is no room for any type of roll-a-way moon roof type cover.

I was thinking 2011, not 1977.

Even with a $1.00 toy I was having a difficult time letting go of practical, as if I was going to have to drive the thing around or explain it to my wife.

Practicality, my friend, you definitely have your place, but you're taking things a bit too far, and, honestly, you're kind of getting on my nerves.


Lately, life has all been about practical -- insurance, unemployment, plumbing, car repair -- I've even questioned the practicality of this blog, and like a loud talker at a party or talk show that makes a point by raising the volume, my caretaker Practicality has not allowed any of the other guests at life's party to get a word in edgewise. Practicality has talked over Playfulness, publicly mocked Dreams, and rudely interrupted an entertaining story being told by Adventure.

And Practicality did not like that van.

Yet, against the wishes of Practicality, I bought this van, and *gasp* wrote about it!

I'm not there yet, but I'm working toward the time when all the party guests can work together as a team. This little van, in its strange, tacky way, has brought me just a little bit closer.

Thanks, van. I think you're awesome, even if I can realistically only drive you at night or on overcast days.

Click here for a little 70s van magic - Chevy, not Dodge, but you get the idea


Thanks to photographer Phil Pekarcik for sidestepping practical to provide this week's picture.



BTW - my son saw this van before I removed it from the packaging and raved about it -- Practicality has been completely leaving him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment