10.11.2011

Week 57: 1954 Jaguar XK120 SE


Today's Daddy's Tiny Car is a return to the initial concept of the blog -- an affordable fantasy removed from concerns of reality and practicality, because, while a lot can happen in the blink of an eye, I'm thinking a real '54 Jaguar probably isn't likely to show up in the near future no matter how many times I work those eyelids.

Not that other things haven't occurred between blinks this week -- I blink, ill placed words split my foundation sending emotional tsunamis roaring over my shores, blink again, my middle son is running a fever of 103 (he is fine now), and blink yet again and I'm on the phone listening to the tinkling sound of stress fractures  spiderwebbing cracks throughout the emotional wellbeing of a friend and hoping he's equipped with safety glass, because that window glass of the soul is shattering.

This week was enough to make me want to keep my eyes shut and let the world blink without me for awhile.

But the challenge and beauty of having children is of course you need to keep your eyes open, because if you don't, you'll open them to find the kids standing on the kitchen table flinging oatmeal at the ceiling fan.

So I've kept my eyes open, taken care of business (even if I did skimp on yard work), read stories to the kids, cooked dinners, and overall bucked up.

Nonetheless, in the deep dark when I can't tell if my eyes are open or not, I'm taking a few moments to visualize  this wonderful Jaguar (said to have been the world's fastest standard production car at the time it was launched) while listening to ELO and smelling the comforting odor of a strange-scented candle in the other room (is it Fresh Bamboo?) -- a sensory concoction that might not do much for anyone else, but is custom built by me to recharge my battery and prepare me for a new day of blinking.

Come morning, my eyes and I will be ready.

Photo courtesy of Phil Pekarcik.

No comments:

Post a Comment