10.18.2011

Week 58: Infinity G37 Coupe





My four year old son, affectionately known on this blog as Racer A, recently started with the county's Head Start pre-school program, but classes are a few towns over so it means driving 20 minutes to get him to the bus. 

That short ride gives us time to talk about important things, like today:

ME: You know what? I'm glad deer don't drive cars. I don't think they would be good drivers.

RACER A: (Unphased by comment) Uh-huh, I don't think so either. I'm glad deer don't drive too.


(We drive a minute or two in silence.)

ME: You know what else? I'm glad squirrels don't drive. I would have a difficult time seeing their tiny cars.

RACER A: I'm glad squirrels don't drive, too, but they could drive big cars, you know.

ME: True, but they would probably need tiny seats in their big cars.

RACER A:  Yes. Hey, you know what I'm glad of? I'm glad cats don't drive cars.

ME: Me too. I would never know what the cars would do next if cats were driving. They might suddenly turn left, and then spin around or something.

RACER A:  How do you think dogs would drive?

ME: I'm not certain. They might goof around a lot, go slow, then fast, and they might play chase in cars.

RACER A: That would not be good.

ME: No, definitely not.

(We ride again in silence.)

ME: You know what I'm really glad about?

RACER A:  What?

ME: That fish don't drive cars.

RACER A:  Me too. How would they do that?

ME: They'd have to fill their cars with water.

RACER A:  Maybe they would drive in their fishbowl.

ME: You mean a fishbowl with wheels?

RACER A:  No, I mean their fishbowl would sit on the seat, with a seatbelt around it.

ME: But how would they reach the steering wheel? They'd need to hang out of the top.

RACER A:  Yup. But wait!! How would they reach those...um, those things you push down on the bottom?

ME: The gas and break petals?

RACER A:  Yes.

ME: I don't know. They would need someone to help. Maybe a lizard.

RACER A:  Yes, or maybe a sheep, but the sheep would hop over the fish, but only once, and then settle down. No, wait, maybe a frog can help.

ME: A frog would be a good helper.

RACER A:  Or a cat.

ME: No, the cat would eat the fish. Or at least tease it.

(We pass a transport truck hauling new cars.)

ME: Look at that that!

RACER A:  COOL!

What kind of animal would drive that?

RACER A:  Maybe a cow?

ME: Maybe, or maybe a horse. Horses are used to hauling things.

RACER A:  Yes, that's it. A horse would be perfect. (He adds a slight pause between "per" and "fect.")

ME: I think a horse might be a good driver.

RACER A:  Oh yes. A horse would definitely be a good driver.

(We approach the drop off spot).

ME: What if we get there and your bus is being driven by an animal, like a moose or something, although I guess a moose would have a hard time fitting its antlers through the bus door.

RACER A:  The bus driver would probably be a goat.

ME: Yes, a goat would fit better.

RACER A:  Wait a second. Animals don't drive cars. Only grownups. And teenagers. How do teenagers drive cars?

ME: Kind of like cats.






Photo of Matchbox Infinity G37 and red sky of impending doom courtesy of Phil Pekarcik, perhaps inspired by Week 57's dark tone.

Speaking of which, I considered whether or not to publish Week 57 as I try to keep this blog light, but Daddy's Tiny Cars is after all a time capsule diary that would be incomplete if I didn't express elements from my real life, including the downs. I don't mean giving every rough detail, but rather capturing essences of the week. I hope you all understand

Now I must go. There appears to be a fruit fly swimming in my wine.











1 comment:

  1. My dear Dale, the seeming doom and gloom shown in a few of my photocomposites come from my dark places as much as yours. However, please remember in the eye of the beholder that the "red sky of impending doom" may also be interpreted as "red sky at night, sailors delight". Sometime they just come from let's just have some fun.
    Luv Ya, Phil, the Photographer.

    ReplyDelete